Monday, January 30, 2012

Self-portrait, homemade periscope, etc






I've recently beenbrainstorming more kid craft ideas and I'm really excited to try a few out. Especially as more holidays approach (Valentines, St. Patricks, Easter).
Many ideas I have to admit I get from watching PBS kid shows with my little girls, such as Curious George or Sid the Science kid. One recently from Curious George I wanted to try was making a homemade periscope. But instead of studying the cartoon monkey's way of doing it I just googled it. Here is the link/video I used: http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-build-spy-periscope-209972/
I chose the one I did because it used very basic household items and I didn't have to buy anything. But, it uses a cd instead of a mirror and it just doesn't work as well.
Another activity we did was inspired by Blue's Clues. We made self-portraits using a variety of materials: paper, yarn, popsicle sticks, googly eyes, and paint. I had Mercedes (my 3 yr old) look in a mirror and notice her features. I asked her how many eyes she had, or mouths. I cut out the shapes necessary but depending on what she wanted (dress or pants, happy or sad mouth, shape of face etc). Then she placed things where they should go. Afterwards she painted it to add more of that Mercedes touch (she loves painting.)
Th other picture I included shows one way you can keep and use your kids artwork by decorating their room with it.
I have a couple fun things planned for February so keep a look out. And if you have any kid craft suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment